Springtime Break In Haworth, Brontë Country


"Awake to new life with the coming of spring,
When the lark is aloft with its fetterless wing;
When the thorns and the woodbine are bursting with buds,
And the throstle is heard in the depth of the woods;
When the verdure grows bright, where the rivulets run,
And the primrose and daisy look up to the sun;
When the iris of April expands o'er the plain,
And a blessing comes down in the drops of the rain"

~ John Critchley Prince ~


It is fair to say that last week saw most intense hard work I have ever done in my working life.  Although it was gratifying as well I must admit that by the end of the week I was in great need of a good rest. So when I saw I had now two days off Haworth immediately sprang to my mind. Saturday lunch time after work I quickly stuffed my rucksack with a change of clothes and headed for my heaven on earth place.
I didn't have any plans other than staying a couple of nights. This time for a change I was just going to do whatever my heart told me to do at a given moment. But, one thing I was sure to do and that was take photos, of course.
I arrived to a beautiful, warm and sunny afternoon - first real spring day this year. I spent a couple of  hours just pottering around and having a glass of wine in my favourite pub while waiting for the golden hour. And then I walked over to the Brontë Parsonage, Haworth church and the graveyard.

St Michael and All Angels' Church

Brontë Parsonage and Graveyard

Dusk Graveyard Visitor

The following morning I woke up at 6:30 (trying to convert to an early riser!).  It just got light and there was a mist shrouding the old stone houses, obscuring the distance and creating that mystic and atmospheric ambience. It is not often that I get a chance to be in Haworth on an early misty morning, so I quickly got dressed, grabbed my camera and was back in the Parsonage graveyard,  exactly twelve hours after my previous visit.
Apart from a gentleman coming out of John Brown's house I never saw anyone, and the only sound I heard was the usual cawing of crows.

Haworth Church Graveyard

Old School and John Brown's House

Behind Parsonage

Haworth Main Street

Haworth Station

I took another couple of images which, although taken in Haworth, are not intrinsic to Haworth by their composition or subject matter. I am thinking of processing these images in black & white, and as they are different in character to the ones I have published here I will blog about these images in a separate post.






Comments

  1. These are beautiful images Vesna. I'm glad you got to see Haworth when it was quiet.
    Love the verse too.
    Looking forward to your black and white shots.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, worth getting up early for (my life mission is to become an early riser but I was born a night owl and don't cope well with morning so I don't have a lot of success!). I always enjoy seeing your photos of Haworth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023