A Walk Around Leeming Reservoir, Brontë Country

These days I seem to always stick to colour photography. However, on this particular occasion I ended up dabbling with black and white sepia. Here is how and why.
It was a Sunday morning and my third and last day in Haworth. I arranged with G and a friend to come over for breakfast and then go for a walk before driving back to Leeds. I thought a walk around the nearby Leeming reservoir would be nice and relaxing on this winter day. We drove a short distance to Oxenhope and started our walk from the village post office.
All along the walk there were extensive, breathtaking views over the reservoir, the village of Leeming and surrounding areas. I always enjoy looking at sweeping, distant views, but, to be honest,  photographs of most of them leave me quite indifferent. It was mainly an overcast day and the diffused light and pale colours of the winter landscape made my photos look quite flat, insipid and simply lacking impact. I thought I had to do something with the photos to make them worth sharing. I quite liked the idea of the old photo, industrial look, so I experimented with some sepia presets in Lightroom.




The highlights of the walk for me was looking at the snow covered Haworth moor on the skyline and walking up the steep, rough stone set track, called Bank, lined with pretty, old cottages. The views from this track were absolutely wonderful.






Apart from having to retrace our steps at a certain point and modify our route because of unmanageable mud, we all really loved our ramble. Towards the end we came out onto the main road right in front of a very inviting pub "The Lamb Inn". We couldn't resist going in for a little rest and a refreshing drink. And it was really good to get to know this lovely, olde worlde country pub. 


I am looking forward do doing this walk again some time in the late spring or summer when, in my photography, I shall be focusing more on detail and less on extensive views.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023