Haworth, Brontë Country, in January

Most visitors will probably agree that January is not the best month to visit Howarth. Not only is it very cold and wet most of the time, but also the Brontë Parsonage Museum is closed for its annual maintenance and change of display activities, and a lot of shops don't open till later in the year. For me, however, it doesn't matter what time of the year is; I love the place, my future home, and I have to go there as often as I can.
The day started as most January days this year have done - cold and dark with light drizzle. It didn't look like the planned walk on the moor was going to be a good idea, but then, it did brighten up in the afternoon.



The low sun efused some beautiful and interesting light so, after a lovely lunch in the village with my dear friend who lives locally, I headed for Penistone Hill to breath in some fresh, moorland air. I walked for about an hour along the eastern side of the park and enjoyed it despite the rather slippery, slushy or muddy paths.



I decided to return to the village by road, Dimples Lane, and passed the charming Sowdens Farm. I had seen the farm from a distance many times, either from Balcony Lane that leads to Penistone Hill or from the path to Oxenhope, but had never actually been to it. The farm served as Parsonage before the present Parsonage was built in 1779. I liked its pretty, sleepy, wintry look.


So this was my first visit this year to the beloved village of Haworth which, as always, left me feeling restored and happy. I will be back very soon, at the beginning of February to see the brand new exhibition at the Parsonage celebrating Emily Brontë's 200th birthday.





Comments

  1. I don't think there's ever a bad time to visit Haworth. I know shops and the museum are a bonus, but it's worthy of a visit without those too, and I rather like a bleak moor in winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots Vesna. I'm glad you saw a little sun
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023